New York, NY, USA
Full time, Permanent
08 Jan 18
Global Markets is BNP Paribas’ capital markets business within the Corporate & Institutional Bank (CIB), delivering solutions across asset classes, and industry-leading services for clients including Institutional, corporates, private banks and retail distribution networks. Global Markets encompasses seven global business lines; G10 Rates, Equity Derivatives, Forex & Local Markets, Commodity Derivatives, Credit, Prime Solutions & Financing and Primary Markets, helping their franchise of clients find effective ways to raise and invest capital as well as manage their exposure to risk.
In response to regulatory requirements, BNP Paribas is establishing a First Line of Defense Surveillance function within Global Markets (GM) business reporting into Strategy and Risk/COO Americas department. GM S&R/COO is part of Global Markets FO, but independent from the Business and is also part of the 1st Line of Defense. This newly created function aka the FOCS (Front Office Control & Surveillance) team monitors
- Trading & Sales business activity and electronic Communications, with the objective of deterring, detecting, and preventing Conduct Risk breaches
- Developing automated tools for monitoring and performing customized data analytics
- Escalating potential issues and resolving satisfactorily
- Developing systems capabilities and customizing new systems to meet firm expectations
The team is quite unique in the industry and has proved efficient in identifying potential conduct risk to BNPP managers in UK. The team can follow easily market events and work with FO management by being located within the trading floor.
• Coordinate with other FOCS team members on a daily basis
• Coordinate Globally with other FOCS team
• Contribute to the design, implementation and refinement of the monitoring procedures to more effectively identify actual or potential conduct risk scenarios.
• Liaise with, and maintain a good working relationship with Desk Heads, and Senior Management and refine the escalation procedures, where possible, in order to help Desk Heads manage their business more effectively.
• Develop and Use tactical spreadsheet-based tools, which can search the trade/OMS database at a trade level, filter unwanted information and display the remaining results concisely, for subsequent analysis.
• Monitor the Order Management system to identify “events” that can be associated with potential Conduct Risk breaches, and cross-reference these events against the analysis of the trade data.
• Monitor chatroom communications using Keyword-based searches. Investigate keyword violations for context, and conduct more “in-depth” analysis where there may be a suspicion of inappropriate communication.
• Escalate potential conduct risk breaches to Desk Heads ensuring that there is an accurate and comprehensive audit trail of all relevant information.
• Contribute to the design and production of timely Management Information for the Heads of Trading & Sales.
Minimum required qualifications:
The ideal candidate will have at least 2 years of trading experience in Credit or Equity Derivatives.
• Excellent communication skills with senior management and transversal functions
• Be a role model, supporting and fostering a culture of good Conduct
• Demonstrate proactivity, transparency, and accountability for identifying and managing conduct risks
• Consider the implications of your actions on colleagues, partners and clients before making decisions, and escalate issues to your manager when unsure
Market, Product and Business Experience
• In depth knowledge of the G10 Rates markets ideally from a trading or structuring background.
• Exposure to other asset classes e.g. EQD, Financing, Credit, FX, Commodities, etc would be beneficial
• Strong understanding of the driving factors behind the required surveillance enhancements in light of industry and firm-specific events.
• Knowledge of Actimize is an advantage
• Advanced knowledge of Excel is essential
• Bloomberg knowledge is essential
• Generally comfortable and adept at defining and using technology tools
• Programming skills are a plus
Market, Product and Business Experience
• Trading background is preferred
• Risk Management experience also helpful
• Compliance experience as a complement is also helpful
• 2-10 years experience (scale for Associates, VPs depending on candidates)
FINRA Registrations preferred:
BNP Paribas in the United States is part of a far-reaching global banking network, offering its clients a full range of services from investment and retail banking to asset management services. BNP Paribas has been present in the country since 1919 as the French American Banking Corporation and currently has over 14,000 employees in the US.